Which of these theorists' ideas about adolescence appeals to you the most and why? Erikson, Piaget, Fowler, Freud, Kohlberg? Do their ideas relate to you?
Erikson appeals to me to most. This is because he defines 'identity crisis' as a time of intensive analysis and exploration of different ways of looking at one self. This is exactly how i would desribe my teenager years and many other teens would do as well. He feels the teenage years are such important time for identity formation. I feel this is true because it is the stage before you are becoming an adult and is struggle bewteen childhood and adulthood. We are in this awkard stage where we dont know how to place or act in society or our role or responsibilty. I think it is a very unfair stage of life because it is unclear and unstated how we are suppose to act. With Erikson theory is gives some relief to teenagers to understand why they are expressing such differing emotions at different times.
The theory which appeals to me the most is Fowlers theory. This Theory focusess on the importance of adolecence in a persons life. Fowler acknowledges that teenagers break away from there closed families veiws and begin to absorb veiws of peers and the media. I belive this is true as peoples veiws change and are strongly influenced by others especially in a schooling environment. Fowler also belives that this is a time when peopls question themselves. I also belive this is very true as people answer the question of "who am I?" and decide where they want their life to go. Fowlers theory is teh theory which appeals the most to me.
The theory that applies to me the most is Abraham Maslow. His theory focuses on the needs of a person according to their age i.e. infancy needs only basic things food, water, shelter and warmth. This applies to me because I never seem to stop needing something wether its food or a new iPod. Maslow theory stats that adolescence is a time when people need to fit in and find their place in social this applies to me as I am now begging to think about the future when I move on from school and how I will fit in to society.
Although Maslow isn't in the above list of theorists, it is Maslow and Kohlberg’s theory that I feel I can relate too most. Maslow’s theory of adolescents feeling the need to belong to a social group outside of their family is vital as it provides that sense of social belonging that a family can’t provide. This is very relevant to all adolescents as being part of a group provides that sense of social security and the feeling of belonging which is very important for your happiness. Being part of a group can also influence the person you will become, whether it is your sense of humour or the “scene” you’re involved in, whether that is good or bad. Kohlberg’s theory that adolescents actions are based on what they think everyone else expects instead of what they feel is morally correct. This is very relevant to adolescents as some people feel they need to do something against their morals to fit in with a group. Your peers can have a huge influence on the decisions you make but adolescents is definitely the time when people start to decide for themselves what is morally correct. Although, our view on things will change as we grow up, mature and experience different things, adolescence is definitely the time when we develop the basis of the morals that we value.
Eriksons identity crisis is the theory that applies to me the most out of the theorists. During the adolecent years individuals undergo a time of intensive analysis and exploration of ones self to eventually establish your strong sense of self. I describe my teenage years as a journey that will eventually lead to my discovery of self. Mistakes made during in this time allow you to prepare for the future as well as establish things you do not want to obtain. Erikson explains that the teenage years are paramount to ensure you discover a strong sense of self. I completely agree with this statement as i beleive that my teenage years have formed my values and allowed me to idenity aspects of life i do not want to obtain as an indvidual. Adolecence is a time when indviduals are lacking self esteem and are on their journey to adulthood. I also beleive that adolesent period is a vital stage in ones life to ensure you are a content adult with a strong sense of self. The theory allows teenagers to be reassured that the drastic emotinally chnages they are experiencing is a completely normal process.
Eriksons identity crisis appeals to me the most. He feels the teenage years are such important time for identity formation. I feel this is true because it is the stage before you are becoming an adult and is struggle bewteen childhood and adulthood. We are in this awkard stage where we dont know how to place or act in society or our role or responsibilty.
Erikson appeals to me to most. This is because he defines 'identity crisis' as a time of intensive analysis and exploration of different ways of looking at one self. This is exactly how i would desribe my teenager years and many other teens would do as well. He feels the teenage years are such important time for identity formation. I feel this is true because it is the stage before you are becoming an adult and is struggle bewteen childhood and adulthood. We are in this awkard stage where we dont know how to place or act in society or our role or responsibilty. I think it is a very unfair stage of life because it is unclear and unstated how we are suppose to act. With Erikson theory is gives some relief to teenagers to understand why they are expressing such differing emotions at different times.
ReplyDeleteThe theory which appeals to me the most is Fowlers theory. This Theory focusess on the importance of adolecence in a persons life. Fowler acknowledges that teenagers break away from there closed families veiws and begin to absorb veiws of peers and the media. I belive this is true as peoples veiws change and are strongly influenced by others especially in a schooling environment. Fowler also belives that this is a time when peopls question themselves. I also belive this is very true as people answer the question of "who am I?" and decide where they want their life to go.
ReplyDeleteFowlers theory is teh theory which appeals the most to me.
The theory that applies to me the most is Abraham Maslow. His theory focuses on the needs of a person according to their age i.e. infancy needs only basic things food, water, shelter and warmth. This applies to me because I never seem to stop needing something wether its food or a new iPod. Maslow theory stats that adolescence is a time when people need to fit in and find their place in social this applies to me as I am now begging to think about the future when I move on from school and how I will fit in to society.
ReplyDeleteAlthough Maslow isn't in the above list of theorists, it is Maslow and Kohlberg’s theory that I feel I can relate too most. Maslow’s theory of adolescents feeling the need to belong to a social group outside of their family is vital as it provides that sense of social belonging that a family can’t provide. This is very relevant to all adolescents as being part of a group provides that sense of social security and the feeling of belonging which is very important for your happiness. Being part of a group can also influence the person you will become, whether it is your sense of humour or the “scene” you’re involved in, whether that is good or bad. Kohlberg’s theory that adolescents actions are based on what they think everyone else expects instead of what they feel is morally correct. This is very relevant to adolescents as some people feel they need to do something against their morals to fit in with a group. Your peers can have a huge influence on the decisions you make but adolescents is definitely the time when people start to decide for themselves what is morally correct. Although, our view on things will change as we grow up, mature and experience different things, adolescence is definitely the time when we develop the basis of the morals that we value.
ReplyDeleteEriksons identity crisis is the theory that applies to me the most out of the theorists. During the adolecent years individuals undergo a time of intensive analysis and exploration of ones self to eventually establish your strong sense of self. I describe my teenage years as a journey that will eventually lead to my discovery of self. Mistakes made during in this time allow you to prepare for the future as well as establish things you do not want to obtain. Erikson explains that the teenage years are paramount to ensure you discover a strong sense of self. I completely agree with this statement as i beleive that my teenage years have formed my values and allowed me to idenity aspects of life i do not want to obtain as an indvidual. Adolecence is a time when indviduals are lacking self esteem and are on their journey to adulthood. I also beleive that adolesent period is a vital stage in ones life to ensure you are a content adult with a strong sense of self. The theory allows teenagers to be reassured that the drastic emotinally chnages they are experiencing is a completely normal process.
ReplyDeleteEriksons identity crisis appeals to me the most. He feels the teenage years are such important time for identity formation. I feel this is true because it is the stage before you are becoming an adult and is struggle bewteen childhood and adulthood. We are in this awkard stage where we dont know how to place or act in society or our role or responsibilty.
ReplyDelete